Tuesday, June 28, 2011

REI Advice


So I (Eric) checked out one of the backpacking classes are REI tonight - important tips I got:

1.  We need sacks for our packs on the plane so we don't lose a shoulder strap in bagging.
2.  We can't take fuel on the plane so we have to pick it up in Seattle.
3.  We can get away with packing light on food with mostly freeze dried food, and then trail mix and snacks like tuna pouches and tortillas.  

I also raided my father in law's hiking gear so we are set on water filters (I have two), and we have a single burner MSR stove (without fuel).  

We also need to research bear safe food storage, as well as water availability on the trails.

1 comment:

  1. The best way to do bear safe food storage is to use a food bag and some rope and you literally hang it from a limb. Works well every time.

    ReplyDelete